Featured blogger- Cagedwonder


caul4


How do you get your inspiration for the outfits you wear?
-          I get a lot of my inspiration from international street style websites and the music I listen to.  I don’t indentify myself as having one kind of style, so waking up every morning is like a new sartorial adventure.

Who has had the biggest fashion influence on your outfits ?
-          I’m really interested in Japanese culture, so Harajuku fashion often influences my ideas about style. I think the Japanese youth are really fearless about their fashion choices, and it gives me confidence to wear things that other people might not, just because I want to.


DSCN0638


DSCN0639

What made you start posting your pictures on chictopia ? 
-          Shortly after I started my blog, I wanted ways to promote my site and my style.  I found out about Chictopia and was totally hooked on browsing the site, because everyone else’s looks were so inspiring! I have been off and on with my own posting, but I know it’s always a place I can go to if I need a fresh perspective.  

DSCN0274

What blogs and websites do you follow and why ? 
-          I really love the blogs Fashion Gone Rogue for their amazing photo shoots and The Selby for its amazing creativity and originality.  For street style, I’m all about The Sartorialist, Garance Dore and Stockholm Street Style.  Finally, I love discovering new photographers through Flickr and Feavrish Photography.

Would you describe yourself as a trendsetter or fashion follower ?
-          I don’t know if anyone but a designer could consider themselves trendsetters- even the most fashionable people get their inspiration from runways inadvertently. In my life and the people I know, however, I prefer to wear whatever I think is beautiful, and not what everyone else deems trendy. 


P1000588

How would you describe your style ?
-          I’m not really sure, because I’ll dress grungy one day, then artsy, and then polished.  My style is more about being different than being cute or sexy or hardcore, so I suppose if I had to describe it in one word, it would be eclectic. 


IMG_8088

Does the hosiery you wear dictate the clothes, outfit you wear ?
-          Oftentimes yes.  I love wearing skirts and dresses, so interesting tights, stockings and socks are essential.  In the winter especially it can become tedious wearing the same black tights every day, so I like to mix it up with tights that are sparkly, patterned or colored. 

P1000297

What is in your hosiery drawer or closet ? It would be nice if you could take a photo and list the tights you own. 
-          My hosiery drawer is neither fashionable nor organized, so I won’t frighten you with a picture! Inside, however, you will find countless black tights in every level of sheerness, as well as some grey, some navy, and some glittery tights. I don’t like colored tights; I think that Blair Waldorf is the only person who can truly pull them off.  However I did buy a pair of white tights to wear with my Halloween costume, and I’d like to find a chic way to wear them in everyday life. 


P1000788


P1000787

How do you choose your hosiery?
-          I can’t say that I’m very discerning.  Living on a student budget, you’ll more often see me at CVS than Barneys picking up sheer black tights in bulk.  However, I look for tights with a reinforced toe, because they don’t rip as easily.   

Where do you shop for hosiery? 
-          Drugstores, when I’m broke.  When I’m a bit more financially endowed, I go to Urban Outfitters or Capezio.  I also always try to pick up interesting patterned tights when I go abroad- it’s easier to find tights with stripes and dots in France and England, I’ve found. 

P1000251

What was the last item of hosiery you brought, how much you spent etc.?
-          I haven’t bought tights myself since probably Halloween, so those were the white pair. I got them at Macys, for ten dollars.

Do you prefer sheer or opaque tights,stockings or holdups,socks or kneehighs,sheer toe or reinforced ? 
-          I don’t think I have a preference. If I’m wearing an all-black outfit, I will usually want a sheerer pair of stockings to break up the monotony. However, in the winter, thick black tights are great for layering.  Also, right now I love wearing fishnets over a grey or navy pair of stockings, or lacy thigh highs over sheer black tights held up with garters. 


IMG_8020




Do you ever wear 10 denier tights or sheer hose if so how long do they last you ?
-          I rarely buy 10 denier tights, because they’re both expensive and delicate, and I need my tights to be able to take a lot of wear and tear.  I’m kind of past the phase where holey tights look really awesome.  I do wear sheer hose, however.  I bought a really good pair from a lingerie shop in France and they have washed really well. 

How does wearing tights make you feel emotionally ? More feminine,better with girly outfits not thought about it ?
-          I don’t associate tights with being girly- I mean, men used to wear hosiery back in the day too! I love them because they are just the right level of being sexy but not too sexy, and they work with everything I wear.

P1000289


Do you physically like the feel of tights and touch ?  Do your legs ache less, prefer than pants ? not thought about it ?
-          I HATE wearing pants, tights for me are so much less constricting.  They keep me warm in the winter, and are cooler in the summer than wearing jeans. 
-           
When do you wear hosiery,daily-once a week etc ?
-          Almost daily


P1010031


P1010042

What is your hosiery staple ? 
-          Black semi sheer tights from Capezio or some other dance store. They last the longest because they’re strong and don’t get runs. 

What are your style tips for wearing tights?
-          Just wear them with whatever you choose- they work with skirts, dresses, even under shorts. They look chicest when they are without holes, unless you really want to work the hobo-fierce look. 

P1000441

P1000439

Do you keep a spare pair of tights in your bag ?
-          No, but I probably should, I’m notorious for ripping my stockings through the course of the day!

The best and worst things about hosiery, Love-hate?
-          Best things: They keep me warm, they are slimming, they look good with any kind of outfit, they can be dressed up or down, they come in so many colors and patterns. Worst things: Mine tear all the time! I’m constantly buying new ones.


P1010323


P1010335

Do you recycle your tights?
-          Can’t say I do. I do wear them until they’re completely worn out, though.